Monday, June 28, 2010

When a toy is more human



It's official. I have found the most heart warming, humourous cartoon of 2010. May even be the most heart warming movie of 2010. That is of course you are not a big fan of those tear jerkers where the whole family dies and everyone is so heartbroken that they would take 2 forks and do a "Kassim Selamat" (ie poke both their eyeballs with it). And then these shows will go on to win Oscars. That's why I don't watch award nominated movies....except Star Wars. I am of course talking about Toy Story.

So this is the 3rd part of the Toy Story franchise and it looks like the final part. In the end it was difficult to say goodbye. Toy Story was our imagination or at least mine, come to life. I always thought that when we all go to sleep, my toys will get together, pop out the plastic coke and just chill out. I use to imagine what they will say about me and because of that, I took real good care of my toys until my brother, Jude-the-Destroyer a.k.a. Judezilla came along and became a one-drooler demolition machine.



I loved the Toy Story movies which put together creativity, child-like imagination, the importance of a family and looking at the big picture. It's not always about you and many times what we do affects those around us in ways we don't understand. But if we take the time to look inward and be more aware of our surroundings, you will realise that we have a bunch of toys that can talk!!! Remember the first part, when the toys got together to teach Sid the bully a lesson in playing nice with the toys? And he ran???? I would have taken those toys and opened up a circus that would have made me gazillions!!

I digress (not for the first time).

Buzz learnt about not being a toy in part 1 and became friends with the toys around him. He was still a cool space toy. Even though he was Andy's favourite for a while, he and Woody learnt to be best buds. In Part 2, Woody discovers a way to stay alive forever, living an empty life in a museum display. At first he wants that as he fears Andy will not play with him anymore and he will be thrown away. Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!! We were then introduced to Jessie and Bullseye.



Part 3, they had to deal with Andy finally growing up and going to college. As any kid would be (though a teenager would rather drive hot spikes into his anus than admit it) hard press to let go of their toys. They were their childhood, memories and innocence. When you can imagine without limits. As we grow up, reality limits our imagination. Our toys remind us of that time and we do miss it.

Despite all that, Woody remains resolute and he still keeps the faith with Andy. At the same time, he was not going to abandon his friends and family. The other toys get accidentally thrown out and it's Woody Time to get his friends back and to ensure they understand the importance of staying together.

It was a brilliant end to this story and franchise. This movie made me laugh (wait till you see what Buzz can do), made me excited, panicky, worried and made me cry (yeah I cried my eyes out...what about IT?!!). It has everything and I have a feeling my Mandy may not want to throw any of her toys from now on.

You must watch this. It's a Chindian 5-star! So you know it will be excellent! I gotta go clean my toys and say good night. Yeah, I still have some of my old toys!! Don't want them waking up and start gossiping about me.

No comments: