Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vietnam Pho adventure

Vietnam has been a phenomenon in economic and social standings in recent times...ok maybe economic and political standings........ok....maybe a place where they have factories churning out trinkets and fake stuff@!@#@#

Anyhow, that was what I tot until I visited Ho Chi Minh City for an IBM partner conference. I was quite amazed that a country so ravaged by civil war/Vietnam War has picked itself up and is now producing trinkets and fake stuff. I also found out that many humongous organizations have set ups there to product their stuff like the outsourcers of iPod. Which brings me to the questions of...How do I get a job in Apple? and isn't the word "ravage" used a lot in mills and boons books?

Maybe it was the weight of work while I was there but I didnt really njoy myself very well. The people are just finding ways to fleece you or take as much money from you. Very little is honest and sincere. Cabs agree one price before they take you and another when you arrive. Same with some of the vendors. It was quite disappointing. Maybe i expected it to be more like BAngkok, where it was a lot more honest and friendly.

That is not to say that there wasnt any highlights. I took a little tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels which was super depressing. For someone my size, I had the very real danger of being stuck in the tunnels. You gotta give it to de Viet Congs who lived and fought in the tunnels. After that I went to a war museum which was equally depressing! Wait, this paragraph was supposed to be highlights...ok next paragraph.

The girls were simply gorgeous and sweet. Most can speak fundamental English and are genuinely friendly. Most are also looking for a lover. They are not all after your money as some just want someone to love and love them back. I learned that my looks was a bit unique from 2 waitresses and a hotel door..person. I thought I looked local but they said I looked like a Bollywood Star...well hello Mr Salman Khan. Ok a kinda pudgy and aerodynamic one. So I actually had offers from sales girls, hotel guest and one waitress. I tot they were working girls but they only wanted company...wait a minute...that would make me a gigolo.....

I walked back to the hotel late one night and it was a 10 minute walk. In that time, I was stopped by 6 beautiful, sweet, young things on a motorcycle and was offered a ride "home". I think they are "working" girls but I obviously wasnt interested to find out. So it was a good ego trip for me. The other highlight was that the Ms Universe pageant was held there at the same time and the hotel I stayed in was the sponsor. So I had breakfast with ALL the Ms Universe every morning!!! It was kinda cool but they were generally too tall for me and most came with their mothers. So we just looked, some oogled at them from afar. I am sure they thought I was a Bollywood Star but I was too tired to approach them.

Anyway, the event went well and I had tons of food. Not becoz I was a pig but they servings are just large. One dinner I tell you this is really what we had. We each started with a plate of spring rolls which we rolled ourselves. Then we had a very large (about 8 inches) river prawn followed by a meat crab. Remember this is each of us!! Then they tell us that was the appetizer!! Claypot rice with beef followed with vegetable and then a hot pot with all kinds of seafood (prawns, scallops, crab, clams, etc). Of coz there was dessert you oaf!

Shopping was good, cheap but not always friendly. Coffee was good and I do like the food in general. There really wasnt much to do and I didnt think it was kid friendly. I don't think I will go there again but it did leave me good memories. Sigh...such a drag having to go back to shooting my new film in Delhi.

No comments: