Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Left my Heart in San Francisco

San Francisco was definitely my favourite US city. When I was in Microsoft, we used to go to de US twice every year. We always choose to land in Frisco or SF. I first went to the US in 1995 and SF was the first city i landed it. I remembered de first impression i had of SF was dat it was so like Subang airport! There were tons of Indians, Chinese and Malays (Hispanics and Latinos) at the airport. It was so difficult to find white people. I thought we just kinda circled around Subang for 18 hours and landed again. Of cos it was a hell of a nicer looking airport.

I was also very interested in airport security who were all armed with very impressive hand guns. Not like the "chotta" our security guys carry. These guys were huge as well not like de nasi lemak, half asleep, waiting for govt handouts kinds that you get back home. These days we have foreigners being our security personel at our airport. So secure!! After all they have all the incentive to protect foreigners right?!!?!

SF had a weather that was cool all year round. It was about 18-20 degress Celcius in the mornings and about 13-15 at night. It was like air-conditioned all year round. The sky is always blue and the sea dark blue. My favourite place was Fisherman's Wharf where you could eat boiled fresh Alaskan Crabs by the street and have Sourdough Clam Chowder. Overlooking the bay, you could see Alcatraz and all those tourist lining up to get there. I went there but thought it was highly depressing.

I also enjoy downtown, Chinatown, St Peter and Paul, The Meteoron (or something like dat), Coit Tower, Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge and the Aquarium. My best place to hang out was actually Gilroy...the biggest producer of garlic in the world....or so the brochures says. But the attraction is the some 200 factory outlets there. I think there are more...it certainly seemed like it. All the major brands were there. At one time, we spent the whole dat at Polo. We were still there as they were pulling the shades down. When we got back to our hotel room, my friends and I started comparing de stuff we bought. The result was that we wanted to go back to get some more. So there we were at 10am waiting for the shop to open. when they saw us, he said "Hey, you are back! I will get the pizza and Coke!"

Everytime I am there, I buy tons of stuff. There are lots more adventure to share. I will bring it up again in the next article. Stay tuned.

No comments: