Sunday, May 24, 2009

Concerts for a poor Chindian!

I don't know if this is true for all Chindians but we tend to be a bit musically inclined. Not so much me only but my brother Jude as well. In fact he is a heck lot more as he plays the drums by ear, learnt it himself and can belt a mean heavy metal song as well! He still plays occassionaly with his band when they get a gig at some local nightspots.

In college, I was in a band called White Noise and it was a blast! Literally, our songs were a blast since no one really understood what we were trying to say but as with all college parties, everyone is drunk so we were always cool! There were other bands but they always played during dinner which means people were sober and hungry and no one was listening. So hurrah to us and it was a very cool time for me. I sang...that was partyly the problem.

Anyway, this article is about the concerts I attended after that. Our band was disbanded and each decided to have a career. But our love for music continued and here are my short list of favourites since I couldn't afford most of the concerts I wanted to go for.

1) Bryan Adams
This was my first concert I attended...EVER!! He came during 1994 I think and he was every bit what I imagined and more! He was my favourite singer in school and he still is my fav. His trademark then, was to leave the main stage mid-way and appear at the back of the crowd in a smaller stage. What a performer!

2) Sting
It was my first paid concert at Stadium Negara and he performed his Ten Summoner's Tale album. I didn't hear this album at all and before was really hooked on Police for a while and some of his earlier songs like Russians, Love is a Seventh Wave, All This Time and Englishman in New York. I wasn't very hooked on Sting but when I heard him perform Fields of Gold, that was going to be my favourite song and his performance was just sublime and so mesmerizing.

3) Bon Jovi
I didn't really like Bon Jovi but they had style and you could rock all night with them. It was a pretty good concert but someone bought tickets so I enjoyed the night.

4) Def Leppard
These guys were awesome!!! We had front section seats....or standing room and they were absolutely awesome. I never thought I could have enjoyed it so much. Best of all, Melissa was with me and this was her first rock concert and she loved it! Though it was also her last..hmmm......

5) Huey Lewis & the News
These next few concerts were paid for by Microsoft and Huey was my personal favourite. I always like them and have most of their albums and songs. Jacob's Ladder live is awesome.

6) Earth, Wind & Fire
It was a very nice and jazzy atmosphere with these guys and it wasn't bad either. Listening to older songs but not really tired of them either like September.

7) Chris Issac
This guys was a wimp. I totally regretted attending his concert and left half way through. Thank goodness it was free or I would have pluck our my nose hairs and shaved my head bald with a chain saw if I had to pay for it AND sit through it.

8) Soul Income
This is my bro's band. I sat through it and they were pretty good. Jude was excellent and so was the lead and bassist. In fact the bassist looked like Sting! I couldn't understand the lady vocalist though but it was for fun and I did have fun.

I regretted missing Michael Jackson's concert but at that time RM350 was A LOT of money....it still is for me and Melissa was pregnant at the time. I would have liked to see Duran Duran and the latest bands and singers don't really excite me as much...I guess it's sign of a mid-life crisis.

No comments: