Tuesday, January 6, 2015

CSI for the young

Some of you may think that CSI began around the year 2000 with CSI Vegas. I am a big fan of the show and it's spinoffs. I still follow it today and have downloaded the series. However, as I was watching the show and the antics of my kids and nephews and nieces, I realized that CSI started at a VERY early stage for us Gen-X kids. As a Chindian, it would also mean that I have the universe's most disciplined parents. This does not mean that they are very disciplined in what they do. It means, they will discipline your a$$ for every wrong thing you do. Sometimes even when you haven't done it.....yet!! That's how strong these genes are.

So we had to be very creative in how we hide the evidence of our wrong doings. I feel that we would have made excellent CSI officers as we would know where to look for said evidence and what to make of it. The Gen-Y and Z? Forget it! When my son and nephew was 7 years old, they were very into Pokemon. One time while they were watching Pokemon, we gave them their milk for the night. They set it down next to them and as all accidents are attracted to toddlers, one of them spilt his cup. They looked at the spilt milk, said "Oh-oh", got up, moved to another location and continued watching.

If it was us and we did that, they would need forensic experts to separate our mangled corpses! How time has changed. During our time, we would become CSI to hide said evidence of the spill. I would have sat on it to absorb the milk while my cousin will distract anyone nearby. We will then proceed to get new pants for me while he walks behind me to hide the milk stain. I will change while he's the lookout. It's important to change into something of similar colour so as not to invite questions. After that, we have 2 options with the stained pants. We could hide it and throw it and feign ignorance when asked about the pants. OR we could frame my brother. Either way, it would have been done meticulously so that nothing points back to us.

Now of course, our kids volunteer information to us. Like when they dropped their phone or knocked something over. I know what you are thinking. Why in the world would I give my kids a handphone?? The answer, so that they won't bug us! That in itself is a new social world to us. We can't punish them for coming to us and admitting their wrongs. So you smile, tell them they did the right thing and to be careful in the future. Anti-climax right??

All said and done, the chances of us getting away with it was really low. Our parents still found out and half murdered us. So why still do it? Survival man! It kept us on our toes. But looking at the situation now, we could learn a thing or two from our kids and they could a learn a thing some of our CSI skills to survive.......as long it's not to con us!

No comments: