Friday, November 23, 2007

The second tech fails

I have been without my most loved PC for the last 1 week. For some reason, the video application or card or some thingamagic refused to work and I can't get the display up. I have sent it to my "tech" guy and he has been on it for a week. I am writing on my office laptop which is obviously not as fun. My life has been a little depressing the last few days without my PC to come home to. Which brings me to think about out dependancy on technology and gadgets. I am pretty tech savvy which means I know about 80% of the acroymns but not always know EXACTLY what it means. I am a demi-geek! Not quite there yet.

I used to work in a little software company from Seattle, USA. You may have heard of it. It's called....i think...oh yeah, Microsoft. It was gadget haven. I had access to either the latest gadgets or people who had access to the gadgets. Smartphones, latest accessories, mouse, joystick, hard drives, USD drive, wireless up the wazoo, etc, etc. It has been 3 years since I left and while I am totally deprived of these gadgets, I am still pretty addicted. I sometimes catch myself wondering into the tech section at the mall and just staring at the lovelies!!! However, since Microsoft I have been addicted to all kinds of IT stuff from gadget to surfing the internet with Facebook being my latest addiciton.

So now, as I lay depressed on my bed listening to my iPod video on my iHome, with my laptop and Blackberry, I began to wonder what life was like without all these gadget so many years ago. Actually it was more like 10 years ago. Hmmm....not so long after all. Today, we absolutely cannot go anywhere without our mobile. We give our kids a mobile phone not becoz of status but out of necessity. the lowest income groups today have mobile phones. We have ppl in the used mobile phone business. Pretty cool industry seeing that only 10 yrs ago it was a premier status symbol.

I am also pretty addicted to my XBox (did i mention i used to work in Microsoft). things are also looking bleak on that front when one of my controllers got busted. We are now stuck with one and I have to fight for it. For those of you who have been living under a hut in a south tropical island where only the crabs are your friends, a controller is what we use to control (duh!) the characters in your game. During the game you can swear and curse at the characters for being inept and not moving fast enough to where you want them to move and for not knowing that you shouldn't go there in the first place (like if there is a hole or a giant mouth with no eyes wating to swallow you whole). No violence, just creativity.

Anyway, since tomorrow is the weekend, I am going to head on down to my baby (the PC you dolts!) and see what is up with her. And if it is not ready or if there is no update, I am going to shove a broadband so far up the repairer's ass, that when it downloads, it will come out of his mouth. Obsess? what obsess?

No comments: