Thursday, February 19, 2015

Beware!! New hormones on the road

There a few things a parent dread to hear or do. Like when a doctor says they need to speak with you about "options". You know shit just got serious. Or your child gets a note from their teacher asking to meet you or when a child ask you about the birds and the bees. One very common area is letting go. When your child ask to go on a class trip for the first time. Sleep over, go for a movie, take public transportation and finally....driving a car.

My eldest, Mikey will be 18 this year and he is now taking driving lessons. What scares me is that the government sees no problem in allowing a raging hormonal, indecision and characteristically bad decision making teen to be behind the wheels of a 1 tonne vehicle. While my son is a sweet, quiet and funny person, we don't know what they will turn into once behind the wheels. This is the same kid who couldn't navigate his baby walker around the living room. Albeit he was 2 at the time and was interested in anything shinny while drooling all over the place. Still...

When I first got my car, I got into a lot of accidents but they were minor ones and not once did I trouble my parents. Knowing these Gen-y or Gen-z or whatever the hell you wanna call them, they will be coming back to you and expecting you to fix everything. I'm not sure how I feel about that. While I want my kids to come to me whenever they have a problem and to get me involved in their lives, I would limit that to just me giving advice and not involving my money or involving me getting out of the couch.

Anyway, I have not seen him drive yet but in his first lesson, he stalled the car...A LOT! He complained the steering wheel was too hard to turn and after turning it didn't come back to center, the manual gear stick was not easy to change and the clutch was a nightmare. Hopefully that will become smoother as he progresses.

In that time, if you see some car getting stalled all the time, not turning well or not centering after turning, please be patient and do look out for the driver. He is my son.

1 comment:

Joon Low said...

Good luck, Alwyn,and Mikey. Wait til it's Mandy ' turn. Hehe...