Monday, August 4, 2008

Does this breed violence?

There is this fad that used to be in Malaysia but kinda dropped out. It is Laser Tag. There was an outlet called Laser Quest that was in Mines some years back but I think they have since shut down. Now they have Laser Tag but out in the open like paintball. Geez..where's the fun in that?!?!?! If it is outdoors, you wanna see something get hit. SPLAT!!!!
It was probably about 10 years ago that I first went for this fad at Mines with my Microsoft friends. It was very cool....then. For those of you who live under a coconut shell, Laser Tag is a game where everyone carries a laser gun (gun that emits light) and try to hit your opponents' target areas. We each will also wear a vest that will have sensors at the front, back, shoulders and our guns. The objective is to hit these sensors with our "laser guns" and of course avoid getting hit. Each hit scores points and each hit you get, minus your total. We are put into a kinda obstacle course with cardboard walls and glow-in-the-dark paint. Needless to say, I kicked ass!! I was top scorer and my team won. Of coz my opponents may beg to differon the nature of my win. If so, then my advice is to GET THEIR OWN BLOG!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!

Dat was 10 years ago and running non-stop for 20-30 mins was not an issue. Fast forward 10 years and I went to a Laser Quest in Singapore with my kids, nephews and nieces. There were some adults as well and let me tell you, running non-stop for 10 mins was similar to me diving into a swimming pool filled with rusty used razor blades. I was barely wheezing let alone breathe and I was pretty sure my lungs were hemorrhaging. Well I already have the good looks so wat if i m a little out of shape. Can't have it all. I had these 2 nephew and niece who thought that they could chase me and shoot me at the same time, hence earning points. I think they missed the point that I could shoot them too! So I got most of my points from these little twin 8 year old munchkins. Who said twins arent connected??

We only played for 10 mins but it almost sent my whole breathing mechanism into a complete shutdown. Manual override!!! Breathe dammit!!! So it was a great experience since I kicked ass albeit it was a younger crowd but I wasnt getting any younger so it evened out. I hope that KL will have something like dat. I googled but nothing came out so I think it closed down.

One year in Atlanta during one of MS' annual trips, there actually was a laser tag erected for us Microsofties. The catch was, the walls and floors were made of inflated, bouncy ballon types. so moving around was a challenge. We were challenged by the SG MS team who were made up of buff, go-home-wit-de-girls-did-national-service type and we were these more popularly loved aerodynamic types (even tho one of us was thin as a rake. I think if Pat ever when into a shower, he will come out dry seeing that he is so thin, he could maneuver out of the water). They went in with tactics on how to flank us. We just went in with the objective to finish fast since it is almost dinner time. Needless to say, we kicked their ass!!! Not just slightly but by a huge margin. I had something like 30,000 points and they had something like 5000. Whoo-hoo!

Anyway, we just went dinner after that and the SG boys wanted a rematch. We told them we will be there after dinner to settle it and not to leave without seeing us. Hmmm......it has been 8 years....do you think they are still there?? My son has gotten the laser tag bug since he came in second after me. And it is giving us a lot of craving to pick up a gun-like apparatus and shoot at something....I am going to start with inconsiderate cigar smokers and people who talk loudly on the phone in public places as if their the other person is legally deaf. I don't think it is violent!

No comments: