Sunday, September 6, 2009

Exam jitters - wait a minute....I had those DECADES ago!

Yep, it's time for those damn exam jitters again. Every biggie comes along and you lose sleep and also lose control of your bladder. Every 3 hours, you wake up to pee and then you dream that you didn't study for the exam and walk into the hall with a blank head (not that it's an different from other days).

It also doesn't help that it's been getting tougher and from Std 6, Form 3, Form 5, For 6 or A-levels or pre-U (whatever you went through) and then college and then......wait a minute! I have done all my exams! So what am I jittery about??? Aahhhh......it's a transference symptom. My first born, Mikey is having his Std 6 exams and these exams will determine the secondary school he attends, which is, if he gets bad grades, he will not only be sent to a BAD school but may even be asked to stay back and do an ADDITIONAL year, which he will then FALL behind, see his friends move FASTER than him, get depressed, get influenced by BAD kids in the bad school, IGNORED by teachers, gets into DISCIPLINE problems, kicked OUT with bad grades all his years, unable to go to college or even get a decent job, gets into CRIME, ARRESTED, INCARCERATED...SLAP!!!!!...Thanks! I needed that.

Phew! The worst thing is that I feel powerless to do anything for him. I wasn't great in school to begin with. Sure I aced this exam during my time but that was probably because it was NOT in Chinese! I am not very much of a teacher. So I can only look at him while he pores over his books, with his iPod on and his head bobbing to the beat of whatever song is playing, hoping that he is ALSO absorbing the facts in his books.

But what if he isn't? What if he is not getting it? What if he has mental block that day? What if he gets bad grades, gets depressed and de-motivated the rest of his life, lives in the streets or worst....works in the government???? How will I face my family with the shame????

Well, that's the 3-D of the Indian DNA coming out. You never heard of the Indian's 3-Ds? The Indians have 3-Ds, Drink, Drunk, Drama. I have the third-D in me.

Well, it's going to be the longest week of my life....until the next major exams. I guess I should take some Prozac or Valium, sleep it off and wake up on Friday. So, if you have the time, do say a quiet prayer for my son and the kids who are going through this "agony" now (though you won't know it, if you see them). Also if you see a dad, losing his bladder controls, going in and out of the school toilet while waiting in the canteen for the exams to end, spare him thought. Shoot a tranquilizer dart at him for him to sleep it off.

No comments: