Friday, March 19, 2010

When you're young and in love

My first born, Michael turned 13 last Monday and hence he is officially a teenager. That makes me feel extremely proud, wary and more importantly.....old! One of the benefits of having your kids early is that you get to hang around people your age and hear of them doing things that you already did with their 9 year olds or 10 year olds. You get to tell them, "Hey I already did that!".

We threw him a Lok-Lok party last Sunday with his friends from primary school and also his new secondary school. For those behind the times, Lok-Lok is prepared by skewering uncooked fishballs, beancurd skins, prawns, bacon, sausages and anything you can think of. You then put them into pots of boiling water to cook them and then eat them with sauces. That's called steamboat if it's in a restaurant but if it's mobile and you eat behind a van, it's called Lok-Lok. Lok it up...HAHAHA!

On Sunday morning, they hung out at the mall, watched a movie, played video games, ate junk food and read comics until it was time for the party. Melissa and I sent them to the mall and then like good parents, we tried to be invisible. Of course being a dad, I can be cool around my son so I had to literally drag Melissa away from peeking at them and allowed them their freedom.

After dragging her away with a forklift, we went our way to prepare for the party. I picked them up later and they have bought stuff, had more junk food on them and were just going on about the movie the watched. The party was a hit as we had our XBox which was always a teenage boy magnet.

This year though, we bought Mikey a pool table which was SUPER COOL! It was almost tournament size and was very solid. The kids....on excuse me...the boys had a wonderful time. Only drawback was that my kitchen was that big to make shots from all angles but we made do.

Being a teenager means you outgrow certain things. One of them was a fancy cake. Last year we had the cake with Iron Man on it. This year, he just wanted a plain chocolate cake. Signs of being cool! As a teen, he has also noticed the opposite sex and he told me that he had this crush on one of his old class mates. But as with all teenage boys, they will show that affection by totally ignoring the girl.

I remember my first crush. I was 12 and she was a Chindian from another school. We were in the same school bus and her name was Linda Teh. She was gorgeous and I had the biggest crush on her. Being me though, I showered her with a lot attention and made her laugh a lot. We were great friends but I didn't think of keeping in touch and email or mobile phones were not invented yet. Sad to say I have not seen her since we were 12. I doubt I would even recognize her.

Ahhh....to be young and in...err...crush?! Anyway, like all things when you are young, they will pass and new and better experiences take their places. I will ensure he enjoys his childhood and his teen years. And I will make sure he enjoys going out, having fun with good friends and not be too attached to home. That's because I want him out my house when he goes to college so that I don't have to kick his butt out!!

No comments: