Monday, May 11, 2015

Let him Go!! Let him Go! Can't hold you back anymore!!!!

The dreaded has come. My son turned 18 last March and he has passed his SPM or "Ordinary Wizarding Levels" or his high school, depending where are you reading this. For a while he worked in GSC, the popular cinema chain which is probably one of the most popular chains and also the worst in terms of employee benefits. I wanted Mike to work so that he could experience working life in a controlled environment. Pretty much what us 80s kids went through. I worked in the McDonald's. I loved it and I am loving it still! They should hire me as their marketing person.

Anyway he lasted a month and decided that the long bloody hours and ridiculous pay were just...well....ridiculous. Anyway it was for the experience and I think he did enjoy himself. Then it was time to look at college. He did ok in his SPM though he was sad as he knew he could've done better. Could've, would've...well suck it up!!! And sucked it up he did. So we went through a VERY exhausting search for programs, courses and colleges he could attend. We wanted a program that allowed twinning, that had a campus in country and of course conducive for studying.

I personally wanted a college that had less partying opportunity but it was his choice in the end. Finally on the last day of registering, we decided on University of Nottingham in Semenyih. Semenyih to us city folks is a hole! It had one main street and lots of mud infested patches. It took us an hour to get there because of the trunk roads and there was nothing to do there. The most stand out brand was 7-Eleven and KFC. But it was also friendly and the Uni's backdrop was a beautiful hill side.

It was my dream college. Thank God he chose my dream college. I may have whispered it into him...shhh....

Nottingham is one of the better schools in the UK and also globally and Semenyih will only be picked by students who valued a place of education. The entry requirements were higher and the environment will discourage party kids to attend. So it was perfect place for me to leave my son. There was one major drawback however. It meant, he had to stay in-campus for the week and only come back during the weekends, assuming he didn't have any assignments or projects. I thought I would be cool and that to see him be independent would have been a proud moment. It was.

So the day came, when we packed his stuff and headed off to college. We checked out his room, cleaned it together, fixed his pillow, cupboards, toilets, etc. Walked around the college halls and campus. Checking out where the places to eat were, the ATMs, convenience shop, sports complex, etc. It was a good family moment.

Finally, it was time to say goodbye to my son.

All was going well. The pride of seeing my son grow up, experiencing the next phase of his life and feeling real excited for him. Then he hugged me goodbye told me he'll be ok. As I watched him walk away, my tear ducts decided it was the best time to empty itself at that moment!! I was tearing so much I almost couldn't see the road. I just kept thinking of that moment because as he took each step away, he was stepping into adulthood. I was there to see it, experience it. The pride of a father and the love of a son was just amazing. I am so happy to have experienced it. Though I did hope it didn't have to mean me crying like a little girl.

He leaves my home and when he comes back, he will be a man and he will be a guest in my house. Because as he studies and goes into his career, he will strike out on his own. His own house, own job and hopefully his own family. I hope I have given him enough principles, ethics and building blocks to build a man of integrity, of compassion, of love, of confidence and of someone that will change the lives of those around him for the better. I hope he becomes a great person.

For while he will always be my son, he is no longer my little boy. God's speed Michael Sean David.

1 comment:

Edward Lam said...

Very well written indeed. You ought to be proud parents and derservingly so for bringing him up with such good traits. We have no doubt that he will grow up to be a very successful person.