Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mr. Cuisine One Dish Pot - Hakka style

My dear readers. I have decided to outsource my work to different people with expertise in their respective areas. There are a few of us in me; there is Mr. Politics, Mr. Movie, Mr. Sarcasm and Mr. Holiday. You would have read their articles previously. This time around is Mr. Cuisine.

Hi there food fans! It's time for Mr Cuisine's posting. It's about a very traditional dish from the Hakka clan (I am sure other Chinese clan have it as well). I can't for the life of me remember what the dish is called but it is something like Yat-Pan-Pou or Pun Choy or something like that.

The gist of the dish is to have multiple types of cooking in one pot. I guess it was to save time and money since the Hakka clan is prone to migrating around in China. In SG, this simple dish is made during Chinese New Year. Anyway, we were treated by my gracious brother-in-law who started a new job at one of our top banks (big bucks la that baarger!). That last parenthesis statement was made by Mr. Sarcasm, pay no heed.

It was a Chinese restaurant in Sg Buloh in a relatively secluded area (bless him to find it). The place was packed at 8.30pm and you have to call in advance to book the dish. The dish was placed in a round iron pot (I guess they couldn't find a claypot big enough) on top of one of those do-it-yourselves and looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen type of stove. And it was GOOD! (The dish, I mean. Not the stove)

The dishes on top were roasted duck, steamed chicken, some vegetables and braised prawns. The bottom were braised pork, pork leg and some other mixed dishes with rich gravy for your rice. There were 12 adults and we still couldn't finish all of it. That's saying a lot seeing that I was there together with my brother-in-law Bola (read previous postings). We were short of another food lover; that's my brother and he could have finished it. On top of it, it was the smallest serving.

I can't really remember the price but I think it was about RM218 for that pot which was pretty reasonable for 12 adults. Of course, this is very traditional dish where you have everyone dipping into one pot for the ingredients. So if you have SUPER hygiene habits like some self-important "ang moh", I suggest you stay at home in your bubble eating sanitized organic root chips.

If you are up to a new culinary adventure, this dish is pretty cool but before you come over, make sure you workout first so that you can elbow your way past 12 hungry adults to you food. Especially if Mr. Cuisine is there.

No comments: