Thursday, March 26, 2009

What kind of party to throw for buckets of testosterone?

It was a question that I grappled with for weeks as my son's 12 year old birthday approached. You can't really take him to those kid's outlet like Mega Kidz at Mid Valley. The last 3 years, Mikey's parties have been at the futsal courts. So what do you do for this clueless and confused buckets of testosterone? We didn't want to encourage teenage type of parties....what to do, what to do???

A new dilemma hit me when I saw Mikey's invite list. It was all boys?!?! I wasn't sure how to react and this is where the sexist attitude comes into play. On one hand, I am glad he is not growing up tooo fast and tooo much. So maybe its good he isn't noticing girls that way. But then, he is a boy and I would want him to be brave and have the courage to talk to girls and have girls as his friends.

But this invite list solved one problem for me, which is I can concentrate on something for the boys.....and that is what I did. I threw an XBox party!!

We only had 2 controllers so my sis-in-laws, cousin and cousin-in-law jumped in and bought 2 more as his birthday presents. That I thought was very cool since I thought the controllers at RM180 a piece, was expensive! Thank goodness for family power as daddy working at IBM sure can't afford it.

The party though was a success, judging by the ALL 26 boys' request to come back after his birthday!! We had XBox with 4 players taking turns (very quick turns mind you), a foosball table, an air-hockey table from my cousin KLY and a carrom board. This is not including the PSPs, Nintendo DSs and Gameboys that were present.

There was food too but I don't think the boys really paid any attention to it. I could have fed them tree barks with relatively clean rain water and they wouldn't have noticed.

Here they are crowded around the XBox. A live T-Rex could have come in and carried one of them off and they still wouldn't notice.



That's the air hockey table.



The mildly interesting carrom board. Not enough to attract the attention of those behind.


The Foosball game where my 8-year old daughter kicked some of these wads-of-testosterone's butt! She is Mandy, Chindian Warrior Cross-me-and-I-will-Kick-Your-Sorry-Butt Demure Princess!



Couldn't stand it anymore with these really dim light bulbs killing Halo's Master Chief!!! Now this is the REAL Master!



All that playing finally breaking Mikey's fragile disposition.



The part where every 12-year old dreads....singing of the birthday song! At least I didn't dance in front of his friends!





All in a day's work! Thanks everyone!!


No comments: