Sunday, April 19, 2009

Champs - local food champion!

Another weekend and another new placed uncovered for our dietary needs. Actually, its not a new place for me but more for my family who has never been to Champs. It's a restaurant-pub concept that is owned and run by a rather boisterous and witty Richard Nah (I think that's how its spelled).

It is nestled (I always read about this word but rarely had the chance to use it until now. yeah for me!!) in the quite suburb of Bandar Utama at the complex called Centerpoint. It's a relatively popular spot so you can always hope on a cab and trust that it will know how to take you there. Unless of course you climbed into a Middle Eastern or African dude who is doing this illegally and not only will they not know where it is, they may now which side of the road to drive to get you there in less than 2 pieces.

It's snuggled (another word!) on the first floor and I tend to hang out there at least once a week with my business friends and its a nice neighbourhood place with all its regulars and local content. Anyway, I don't really go there for the reasonable alcohol but more for the food.

Richard likes to experiment with his food and I like his experiments. Here are some of my absolute favourites at his place.

1) Tao Yew Bak - its a local Chinese dish (I think its origination is Hokkien) where you have the black sauce stewed with garlic, mushroom, pork and egg served with rice and acar. If you have a penchant (I am using all kinds of new words man!) for salty sauce and fatty with lean pork, this is it.

2) Fried pork belly - This is a new dish that only came out last week. The pork belly is sliced thinly and then fried with garlic, onion, chili and marination until crispy.

3) Hokkien prawn mee - The serving can feed the 7 dwarfs. It comes with HUGE tiger prawns and pork ribs. The ribs are boiled so it may not have any taste but this is a dish that is well worth the extra love handles. Make sure you are well starved first though.

4) Mango Salad - Another new dish which is marinated just right with lemon, mango, cucumber, nuts and onion. Not too sourly (since that will kill my taste buds) and not too dry. It can get a bit soggy if left too long, so gotta finish it quick, after all, its an appetizer.

5) Pork noodles - It's soup with minced pork, pork spare parts and fried pork lard! I don't think I need to say more!!!

6) Baby back ribs - You have to try this at least once. It is marinated very well and cooked just right to keep its juice for it to be succulent and dry enough to let you savour the taste.

7) Fire Pork Ball - It's an appetizer of mined pork with chili padi, and other stuff which he won't tell me with taucu sauce. Goes great with anything.

8) Stinging Bacon - As the ad says, east meets west. Sliced bacon dipped in wasabi and fried. My absolute favourite.

9) Vongole Pasta - I don't remember its full name but this pasta with a hearty serving of vongole (clam la....La-La la!! That will get my foreign readers guessing) and a hearty serving of chili padi and dried chili. So this is not your normal Italian pasta baby!

10) Lady Killer Rojak - He uses slices of green apple which you dip into a rojak sauce that is spicy and addictive at the same time. A snack that is for anytime.

So next time you are there, try one of my favourites and see if it tickles you like it did me. I really enjoy myself there with the food, TV and company of friends and Richard. If you come in before 5pm, you may see Richard with his 2 ugliest bull dogs. I don't know why I mentioned it. Happy palating!! (Another new word...I am on a ROLL).

No comments: