Friday, June 24, 2011

Green Power! In the brightest of day and blackest of nights

Nope, not talking about money. I am talking Green Lantern movie. Hollywood has done a good job taking comic book heroes into the silver screen. Some were badly done (ie Batman early years) and some were great (ie Batman later years). Green Lantern was the latest to grace the silver screen and while it didn't really follow the absolute origin, I thought it was not too bad.

It starts with a cliche character called Hal Jordan. A super hot-shot pilot that can have any woman he wants, is reckless, suicidal, had authority and daddy issues. Just someone trying to live up to his father's rep and screwing up everything in his path. Then he gets chosen by this green ring that needs to be recharged by some tacky-plasticky looking water tumbler-look-a-like lantern. Next thing you know, instant super hero. So now he has to learn responsibility, blah blah.

Don't get me wrong, I think Green Lantern is cool! Ryan Reynolds is a superb comedian. I love him in all his movies. I thought he did very well here though it was a bit of a challenge to take him too seriously. Even when he was suffering, you half expect him to start laughing out loud.

I thought Blake Lively (love interest) was just too hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Acting wise, was not too challenging. The other downsides for me is that the ring looked too cheap. I mean, the center of the power is the ring. Give it more ummph! I was also hoping there would be more fight scenes and that the climatic scene could have been longer. The effects for the ring was just awesome and I was left wanting more of the ring.

It looks to have a sequel and I will look forward to it.

In the brightest of day and blackest of nights.....

No comments: