Sunday, June 5, 2011

A pirates life for me...yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Yes, it's time to set sail on the high seas and check out everybody's favourite pirate, Capt Jack Sparrow. It is Jack's 4th installment is one of my favourite movie franchises. Despite my fears, I thought the movie was well played and had a good feel to it. I certainly preferred Penelope Cruz to Kiera Knightley and I know I am going to get some hate mail over this.

After part 3 "At World's End", I had given up on Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a very confusing story with a very bad ending and really poor, misguided plot. "Stranger Tides" kept the story simple, plot easy and some additional unnecessary characters, like the clergyman and the mermaid. Yes there is a mermaid.

It's about Jack meeting an old flame and together sail the high seas looking for the fabled Fountain of Youth that was first searched by Ponce de Leon (seriously folks, do some reading!!). The villain this time is Capt Blackbeard, the most notorious pirate (this is real, folks) of his time. So off they go, looking for the items to capture the fountain's water. Ponce de Leon's chalice, mermaid tears, Penelope's buttoned down blouse and the usual Johnny Depp genius.

There were moments but I am sad to say despite all the effort, POC has run it's course. Johnny Depp has said, he will not shoot another installment and if they do it with Johnny for the next sequel, no one is going to watch. Capt Jack belongs to Mr Depp. So enjoy this while you can. It will not set the world on fire was how the first part and even the second did but it will give you something to remember Capt Jack Sparrow.

Walk the plank yer scurvy dogs....Arrrrr....

No comments: